Stained Glass Windows
The many stained glass windows in our church give light and life to every gathering. They are the church’s most unique feature. Each one represents an important occurrence or person(s), worthy of remembrance, named in the window’s caption. As time passes, newer TUMC worshippers may enjoy the sanctuary even more with knowledge of this history of these beautiful windows.
Click on an image to enlarge it or read the descriptive narrative about each window.
Chester Wadsworth Kapisak (1914-1931)
This stained glass window was dedicated to the memory of Chester Wadsworth Kapisak (1914-1931). Chester departed this life, when just 16 years of age, as a result of a soccer accident; this according to a genealogical record of Vanda I. Birmingham nee Kapisak. It may be presumed that he was a graduate of Tilghman High School since only 11 years of school were required in 1931. His parents were Adam Wadsworth Kapisak and Marjorie Evelyn Kapisak nee Haddaway. The Kapisak family also generously donated TUMC’s second parsonage, which is still in use and located on the main road of Tilghman’s Island. Note: The window represents Jesus, Our Shepherd, as is written in the New Testament Gospel according to John, Chapter 10.
Woman’s Christian Temperance Union
A few of the stained glass windows in our church evidence inscriptions of church organizations, of a bygone era, which made donations to the church to offset the cost of those windows. The window behind the organ reveals it having been donated by “W.C.T.U.”, an acronym for the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union. The W.C.T.U. was active in our church (then known as the Tilghman Methodist Episcopal Church) during the early part of the 20th century. W.C.T.U. was a national movement organized and led by Frances Willard and five other Methodist women in the latter part of the 19th century; and they held meetings and prayer sessions in churches. The mission of the W.C.T.U. was to secure prohibition of alcoholic beverages (including communion wine), voting rights for women, raising the age of consent for girls, and many other ground-breaking church and social reform initiatives. In 1913, when our current church building was constructed, the W.C.T.U. had a national membership of more than one-quarter of a million women.
Rev. Ivanhoe Willis (1873-1949)
In 1913, after construction of the current church building was completed, the congregation called Reverend Ivanhoe Willis (1873-1949) as our first full-time pastor. Pastor Willis served the church, then known as Tilghman Methodist Episcopal Church, from 1913 to 1917. An article in the Baltimore Sun newspaper, dated April 23, 1916, mentions that Reverend Willis was an officer of the Talbot County Sunday School Association; and in that capacity he trained Sunday school teachers for all of the Methodist churches in the Talbot County. Another anecdote about Pastor Willis, recorded by former church leader Harry T. Barton, Jr., states: “People marveled at the way the Lord took care of Reverend Willis in his efforts to help with the work in climbing over the roof and building. Reverend Willis had a game leg [disability] and had to wear an iron brace on it.” A stained glass window was dedicated by the congregation in Pastor Willis’ honor.
Organized in 1889, the Epworth League was a Methodist young adult association for persons 18 to 35 years of age. Its purpose was to promote intelligent and vital piety among the young people of the Church, specifically “…to encourage and cultivate Christ-centered character in young adults around the world through community building, missions, and spiritual growth. A Junior Epworth League was also established for Sunday school age children. The League takes its name from the village of Epworth in Lincolnshire, England, the birthplace of John Wesley and Charles Wesley (founders of Methodism). Its members were known as Epworthians. In 1913, when our current church was built, there were approximately one million members in the adult and junior Epworth Leagues combined. In 1939, the League became known as the United Methodist Youth Fellowship. Two stained glass windows in our church were donated by the Epworth League, one for each of their TUMC associations.
Junior Epworth League
Organized in 1889, the Epworth League was a Methodist young adult association for persons 18 to 35 years of age. Its purpose was to promote intelligent and vital piety among the young people of the Church, and specifically “…to encourage and cultivate Christ-centered character in young adults around the world through community building, missions, and spiritual growth. A Junior Epworth League was also established for Sunday school age children. The League takes its name from the village of Epworth in Lincolnshire, England, the birthplace of John Wesley and Charles Wesley (founders of Methodism). Its members were known as Epworthians. In 1913, when our current church was built, there were approximately one million members in the adult and junior Epworth Leagues combined. The League operated until 1939 and then became known as the United Methodist Youth Fellowship. Two stained glass windows in our church were donated by the Epworth League, one for each of their TUMC associations.
In Honor of Y.P.B.
One of our stained glass windows is inscribed “In Honor of Y.P.B. [Youth Praise Band]”. Youth praise bands have been active in our church, here on Tilghman’s Island, since the early part of the twentieth century. We continue that tradition today under the tutelage of our music director and other volunteers.
Benjamin Calvert Frampton
This stained glass window was dedicated in memory of Benjamin Calvert Frampton, known as “Calvert” (1919-1990). His parents were Melvin Franklin Frampton (a.k.a. Captain Judy) and Bulah Olivia Frampton nee Harrison. Calvert was a baptized member of Tilghman’s Island Methodist Episcopal Church (now TUMC) and grew up on Wharf Road, Village of Avalon, Tilghman’s Island. He was wounded in combat during World War II, and was one of the longest-serving soldiers during that war surviving 33 months in a combat zone in five major battles. He carried his grandfather’s bible with him during that war. Calvert married Lorretta Agnes Manley.
In Loving Memory of Mike Lawrence Jr
Mike, or “Mikey” as he was affectionately called by his parents, passed this life for God’s heavenly kingdom in 2002. He grew up in Tilghman United Methodist Church, having attended Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and serving as an acolyte as early as just six years of age. Mike was known as a good friend, thus he fulfilled what Jesus declared as the Second Greatest Commandment. During his school years Mike succeeded in both baseball and golf ; and also enjoyed alpine skiing and waterfowl hunting. As a young adult, he operated a successful lawn maintenance business. Mike is the son of Cheryl Lawrence (nee Miller) and Michael Lawrence.
Lloyd Ray Miller (1927-1975) married Betty Mae Miller nee Fairbank (1928-1974). Betty was the daughter of Samuel Otto Fairbank (1900-1987) and Helen May Fairbank nee Leonard (1907-1986). All were members of the church and devoted to serving the Lord. Betty was a Sunday School teacher, Vacation Bible School teacher, and president of the United Methodist Women. Lloyd Ray, known as “Ray”, owned a blacksmith shop where he made dredges, crab nets, and tongs for local watermen. Helen was the financial secretary of the church; and Samuel Otto, known as Otto or “La-La”, served on the Board of Trustees, was active with the Methodist Men, and used his skills as a master carpenter in construction of the church annex. The stained glass window was donated by Cheryl Lawrence nee Miller and her husband Michael Lawrence in memory of Cheryl’s parents and grandparents.
Corinthea Hazeltine Rude
Corinthia Hazeltine Rude nee Reynolds was born in Virginia on 14 April 1856 and died 8 August 1902. She was married to Laurence Rude. Corinthia and her family lived in Oxford, Maryland, and on Tilghman’s Island. Her grandson, Carvel Hyatt Rude was a member of of Tilghman’s Island Methodist Episcopal Church (predecessor name of TUMC), having been baptized 16 November 1911 at his home on Tilghman’s Island by Reverend J.C. McCoy. Interestingly, Rev. J.T. Price was pastor of the church at the time of the baptism, but Rev. McCoy had served as pastor two years prior. It is reasonable to conclude that the family were members of the church during Rev. McCoy’s tenure as pastor and asked him to do the baptism. A note on the baptismal record indicates that “McCoy was visiting the Island”. – Thanks to Pastor Herb Cain (2018 – ) for his research of the baptismal record.
Elmer N. Sinclair
Elmer Nadell Sinclair (b. 5 Sept. 1882, d. 1955) married Louise W. Lowery (b. 1855, d. 1953). Their son was Nadell Lowery Sinclair (b. 12 Jan. 1904, d. 1958). Elmer, Louise, and Nadell dedicated this stained glass window. Elmer was an oysterman, Louise was a homemaker, and Nadell was a salesman. Elmer’s parents were Bradford Blake Sinclair and Mary Frances Miller. Elmer, Louise, and Nadell were laid to rest in the cemetery behind the church.
William M. & Sarah A. Covington
William Mathias Covington (b. 30 0ct. 1817 in Somerset County, d. 8 Mar. 1899) married Sarah Anne Gibson (b.16 Mar. 1822, d. 31 Aug. 1870) on 8 Jan. 1844 in Somerset County. William’s parents were Phillip Covington and Martha Evans. Sarah’s parents were John Gibson and Sarah Ann (a.k.a. “Sally) Acworth. William was a farmer and Sarah was a homemaker. Both were laid to rest in the cemetery behind the church.
Mr. & Mrs. W.S. Covington
William Sydney Covington (b. 18 July 1850, d. 29 July 1924) married Mary Jane Sinclair (b. 4 Sept. 1853, d. 17 May 1943) on 7 Dec. 1871 in Baltimore. They had 10 children. William Sydney was the son of William Mathias Covington and Sarah Jane Gibson (for which another stained glass window was dedicated). Mary Jane was the daughter of James Alexander Sinclair and Elizabeth Jane Gibson. Mary Jane was a homemaker and William Sydney was the first U.S. Postmaster of Avalon, Maryland. Avalon is one of the four villages on Tilghman’s Island. William Sydney and Mary Jane were laid to rest in the cemetery behind the church.
Bulah Olivia Frampton and Melvin Franklin Frampton
This stained glass window was dedicated to Bulah Olivia Frampton (nee Harrison) and Melvin Franklin Frampton. Bulah was a mother, homemaker, and worked at Tilghman Packing Company. She was baptized at Tilghman’s Island Methodist Episcopal Church (now Tilghman United Methodist Church) on 7 March 1892 by Pastor J.M. Lindale. Melvin (a.k.a. “Captain Judy”) was a waterman. He was baptized at Tilghman’s Island Methodist Episcopal Church on 24 May 1890 by Pastor J.M. Lindale. Bulah and Melvin were life-long residents of Tilghman’s Island. Their son was Benjamin Calvert Frampton.