Welcome To Tilghman United Methodist Church
Tilghman United Methodist Church is an historic church located on Tilghman Island, Maryland.
We are entirely surrounded by water, but are less than 20 minutes from historic St. Michaels and only a half hour from Easton, totally accessible by car.
We are a warm, loving community of faith, deeply rooted in the teachings of Christ.
Methodists have been worshiping on Tilghman’s Island since the 18th century. The first church was built at our current location between 1879 and 1882, a one room structure with a steeple and belfry. The current church was erected in 1913. The church features ornate stained-glass windows with a simple gothic-based design. For a more complete history, click HERE.
See Pastor Herb’s Video Preview of Procedures for Making Worship Services Safe in the Church HERE
As you probably know by now, we at Tilghman United Methodist Church have suspended most of our traditional worship services and church-related gatherings in compliance with directives and recommendations from our government leaders and agencies. We do this with a heavy heart but we want to do our part to stop the spread of COVID-19.
However, we have reinstated our Sunday service in the church sanctuary at 10 AM. We will continue worshiping in Kronsberg Park at 9 AM for as long as the weather cooperates. The online sermons will continue, as well.
We realize that you may be apprehensive about returning to indoor worship, so please do what you feel is right for you. If you do decide to join us, then we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines developed by the TUMC Church Council.
Guidelines for Sunday Morning Worship Service in the TUMC Sanctuary
- No person may enter the church if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (chills, shortness of breath, dry cough, sore throat, fever, etc.) or have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 within the past 72 hours.
- No person may enter if they have in the past 14 days been in contact with an individual who is either presumed positive or has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Any individual who has been in the church and either develops symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days or learns that they have had contact with an individual who is presumed positive or has tested positive for COVID-19 and has been in the church within 14 days after such contact, must immediately notify Pastor Herb Cain at 410-886-2045 or 443-480-0275.
- An Attendance Log will be maintained with the names and phone numbers of those attending each week.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Unless an individual needs to use the handicap accessible ramp at the Annex door, entry should be through the main door of the sanctuary.
- At the end of the service the worship leader will dismiss the congregation by pew starting from the back. Congregations will exit through the main door of the sanctuary unless they need to use the handicap accessible ramp at the Annex door.
- Individuals should use liquid hand sanitizer upon entering and exiting the church.
- All individuals shall comply with social distancing procedures, including avoiding contact (handshaking, hugging, etc.) and maintaining a 6 feet distance between themselves and individuals outside of their family, persons with whom they reside or have regular close contact.
- Every other pew will be marked off to facilitate proper spacing.
- Every person, while inside the church shall wear a mask or face covering at all times.
We continue to keep everyone in our prayers.
Sanctuary Services Return – Every Sunday at 10:00 AM
Please prepare by reading, or viewing the video of, the procedures that have been put in place to help keep you safe as we worship indoors together.
Join Pastor Herb Cain for our Online Worship Service HERE
Kronsberg Park Outdoor Worship Services continue
Sundays, 9:00 AM, for as long as weather permits.
If you would like to join us at Kronsberg Park, we ask that you …
- Bring a lawn chair
- Wear a face covering
- Maintain safe physical distancing – 6 feet minimum
If it is raining on Sunday morning the outdoor service will be cancelled and we will worship online that day.
Gifts and Offerings
Please consider mailing your gifts and offerings to the church: Tilghman UMC, P.O. Box 192, Tilghman MD 21671.
You may also donate online using the Donate page on the top line menu.
Check this website often to stay informed of the last news and updates and ask others to do the same.
- interested in learning more about TUMC?
- in need of pastoral care/prayer?
- wanting to discuss becoming a member of TUMC?
Please contact the pastor:
Herbert Lewis “Herb” Cain
Email: [email protected]
Healthy Tilghman News
Rose Regan, Healthy Tilghman Peer Coordinator, informs that A.A. is offering two live phone meetings each day at noon and 7 p.m. Call 425-436-6376 and enter code 447198# to join or just listen. Rose is at 410-886-9862.
Sabiatri Baker, BS/MS,LMT, of Tilghman and member of the the Depression/Bipolar Support Alliance of Talbot County has offered to be personally available to talk on phone over anxiety, stress, depression, fears etc., as an experienced and educated Peer neighbor (this is not medical care) for anyone 24/7 at 410-886-1292.
Talbot County Department of Social Services has established a call in service about COVID-19. Open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday -Friday. 410-770-5515
New service: Want someone to check in (call) on a senior? Call 1-866-502-0560 and the Maryland Department of Aging will set it up. Call to enroll.
TUMC Food Bank Click HERE
Current TUMC Announcements
- Tilghman Exercise Group Resumes on October 5 09/26/2020 - The Tilghman Exercise Group will begin meeting again on Monday, October 4 at 9 a.m. with ongoing classes held each week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Class will begin at 9 a.m. and last about 45 to 60 minutes. We use videos to lead us through the workouts. The exercises will be a mix of... View Article
- The USDA Farmers to Families Program has ended after 4 months of receiving at least 750 pounds of produce every week 09/03/2020 - Thanks to all who helped with sorting, distributing and delivering the food. Our prayers are for those we were able to serve during this period of unprecedented need, isolation, and uncertainty. Please keep in mind that the TUMC food pantry continues to be open on Tuesday mornings from 9 to noon and Wednesday afternoons from 3... View Article
- Vacation Bible School 07/26/2020 - VBS has been reluctantly postponed until Summer, 2021 for the safety of our children and those who work on this most worthwhile activity.
- Meals Available To Those In Need 03/28/2020 - We are working with the St. Michaels Community Center to provide meals to people in need (financially or due to limited access to food) three times a week. The meals are delivered to the church and we call everyone to come for pick up. We are willing to deliver meals to people who are remaining... View Article
Tilghman UMC Mission Statement
To be a covenant community of loving Christians who glorify God through worship, teaching, studying God’s Word, and by witnessing through word and deed. We seek to share God’s love in Jesus Christ as His body, individually and collectively, through the leading and power of the Holy Ghost with our community and the world by ministering to people where they are in their lives.
You Are Always Welcome
You are always welcome at Tilghman UMC, to worship or to participate in our various ministries or to simply volunteer and make new friends in the community.